Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sprouted moth dal

Moth beans/Matki sprouts is something that I discovered while in Pune. First from my friend's dabba; then from fresh vegetable markets. The vendors sold these sprouts in small packets. These sprouts are used in Misal and Usal dishes and just by themselves - sauted with some spices. After trying to use the market sold sprouts (which had tiny stones!) twice, I resorted to sprouting it at home. And never went back to buying these from stores ever.

When my mil visited us, She saw me use this in cooking and gasped! And said it is called naripayar in Tamil. So, when I went back home last time, I looked for it. People were very surprised that I was looking for that. They were growing it in the fields for soil conditioning and selling it. Not using it much! Now, here's a delicious way to use these yummy sprouts.


Dry Matki/Moth beans - 1 cup (Soaked in water overnight and sprouted)
Onion - 1, finely chopped
Tomato -1, well ripe, finely chopped
Coriander leaves - some, finely chopped
Curry leaves - 5-6
Jeera/Cummin seeds - 1/2 tsp, crushed
Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Salt - to taste
Oil - 1 tsp
Lemon juice - from 1/2 of a lime/lemon

Heat oil and add the crushed jeera seeds. When it is well roasted, add asafoetida. Add onions and curry leaves and saute for a few mins. Add the chopped tomatoes and add 1 tsp salt. When the tomatoes are well cooked, Add the sprouts and chilli powder and turmeric powder. Sprinkle some water and cover the pan. Let it cook for 3-4 mins. Give it a stir and sprinkle some more water. Cover it and let it cook. Switch off the heat, add coriander leaves and lemon juice and stir once more. Enjoy!

11 comments:

sra said...

I've seen this mostly in chaat shops. My store carried it too, I'm not sure if they do now because they said it has poor shelf life - it certainly went to pot very early in my house!

anudivya said...

Hey!
I have tagged you for a Meme, check out my blog under the latest post today.
Have fun doing it!

Kay said...

sra, I make a large batch and freeze half of it and use it within a month. Works well for me.

divya, off to check your blog.

Sig said...

That is a beautiful picture Kay! Don't think I've ever seen these beans before...

lubnakarim06 said...

wow healthy and engergetic.

Kay said...

Thanks Sig.. Maybe they use it in Kerala too, in a different name?? I could have sworn I've never heard or seen this, whereas these beans have been growing in our farm and nearby ones for ages.

Kitchenflavors, give it a try, it's very tasty too.

Vani said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog & your nice comment.

Love the matki dal dish you have there. The pic is great! Sprouting makes it more healthy. This looks very delicious, Kay!

Sharmi said...

Hi, How are you doing. Thanks a lot for the lovely wishes in my blog. just dropped in to say hello:)

Kay said...

hey Vani and Sharmi, nice to see you both! :)

Usha said...

This is so healthy and nutritious and yet seems pretty simple will give this a try :)

Kay said...

yeah usha, very healthy and nutritious! :) do tell me how it went.